9.26.2008

darfur now

this wedensday we shared a meal & watched DARFUR NOW
a stunning documentary captured the lives of 6 individuals
& what they are doing to help the situation in west Sudan.
here are some thoughts from some of us who viewed it:

Kate's Thoughts:
Justice in Africa has been on my mind for several years now. Several friends I know are involved in volunteer work there, and my husband and I donate to groups that permanently do work there. But some day I would love to go there myself. It is hard to imagine the extreme fear these people live in day in & day out. I have such a cream puff life. I do not want to take my life situation for granted, like many of us realize when we become aware of the outside world. And I want to use my resources to make an impact over there. This documentary encourages me to know that perseverance pays in raising awareness & sacrificing time, energy and money to make a difference. Quick solutions aren't solutions at all. It takes a long while to change minds, hearts and governmental policies. It is overwhelming to imagine people/regimes exist that are so evil, corrupt and ruthless. I have a very difficult time with that. It seems a little reasoning could bring someone to care & turn from their evil ways that are hurting nations, but it isn't that simple. When God gave us free will, it is amazing what some people do with that.

No comments: